Have you received several downvotes in your Reddit account that leave you feeling intimidated? Read on to learn how to delete the account and everything to do with it.
Reddit is a social news aggregation website that allows you to interact with other users through comments, links, and upvoting. The account has more than 1 billion unique visitors monthly, and over 300 million people use the platform monthly to share and discuss different content.
The site is divided into communities called subreddits, which are topics of interest to the community members. Each subreddit has its own rules, moderators, and subscribers.
Generally, the site has become a popular place for people to connect with others who share their interests, find interesting news stories, and get help with computer problems. It also has a reputation for being an unfiltered forum where people can post whatever they want without fear of censorship or reprisal from the community.
So, the site can also be a hotbed of controversy, from users posting personal information about others to hateful comments and even fake news. If, by any chance, you feel bothered by what goes on there and want to delete your account, read on as we guide you accordingly about the same.
What Should You Know Before Deleting Reddit Account?
As you scroll through what would be your final engagements on Reddit, it is important to note the following things about Reddit account deletion.
- Posts and Comments (Persona Information) Do Not Get Deleted
The posts or comments you made as part of your profile engagement will not be deleted when you delete your account. Only your username will be removed from all posts that were made by you on Reddit before deleting your account. So if any of these engagements you had included your personal information, this will still remain posted on the account and can be seen by anyone.
- Deactivating is the Same as Deletion
Reddit has made it clear that you permanently lose access to your account when you delete or deactivate it. You can't log back in later on, even if you change your mind.
- No Future Access to the Account Once Deleted
If you decide to deactivate your account, there's no way back. You won't be able to log into your account in the future, even if you change your mind about leaving Reddit behind forever.
How to Delete Reddit Account on iPhone?
Have you made up your mind about deleting the account? Unfortunately, at the moment, to delete your Reddit account, you can only do it from your computer's web browser or do it on the iOS native app. You must, however, know it will be impossible for you to sign up with the same username. So here's how to go about the same:
Step 1: Open the Reddit app on your iPhone and log in.
Step 2: Click on the [Profile] icon in the upper left corner of your screen.
Step 3: Tap on the [Settings] button and scroll down to the [Help FAQ]. Touch it.
Step 4: You will be redirected to a Reddit help screen with a search bar on top. Type in [Deactivate] and check out the results for the option [How do I deactivate my account?]. It should be on the top of the search results.
Step 5: Touch the result link on [How do I deactivate my account?]. You'll then be led to the article guiding on the same.
Step 6: Inside the article is a link you'll need to click on. You will then be redirected to your deactivation screen.
Step 7: Type in your reason for deleting the account, then key in your username and password to complete the security protocol.
Step 8: Mark the checkbox to confirm that the deleted account won't be recoverable. Then touch the deactivate account button to continue.
Step 9: You will see a pop-up screen asking you whether you are sure you want to delete the account. Finally, touch the [Deactivate] option to delete the account.
How to Delete Reddit Account On Web Browser?
Step 1: Open the Reddit website in your computer browser.
Step 2: Once logged in, go to the top right side of your screen and check for user settings below your Profile.
Step 3: Touch on the [User Settings] icon and scroll through to find the [Deactivate Account] option, written in red.
Step 4: Tap on the [Deactivate Account] option.
Step 5: Reddit will display a screen pop-up questioning your reason for deleting the account. This is an optional question, so you don't have to answer it if you don't want.
Step 6: Type in Your [Username] and [Password], then check the box on your understanding that deleted accounts are not recoverable.
Step 7: The delete your account option will turn red for you to click on it.
Step 8: You will receive a final pop-up for you to confirm your deletion of the account. So, touch the [Deactivate] option to delete the account.
Step 9: If your account was created using Google or your apple ID, go to the connected accounts section and touch the disconnect button next to the option that applies to you.
Watch Out for the Reddit Premium Member!
Are you a Reddit premium membership subscriber? First, you must know that deactivating your Reddit account won't cancel any active subscription in the account, so here's what you need to do:
- If you bought your subscription with an Apple ID, go to the Apple App Store's Manage Subscriptions section, select Reddit Premium from the list of subscriptions, and cancel it. You can also do this through your apple device's Account Settings.
- If the subscription was purchased through Google Play, go to the Subscriptions section in Google Play and cancel Reddit Premium from the list of subscriptions.
- Log in to your Paypal account and navigate to the Payments section if you purchased your subscription through Paypal. Select Preapproved Payments from the Payment Settings menu. Reddit Premium can be canceled by selecting it from the list of subscriptions.
- If you purchased it with a credit card, log in to reddit.com and cancel your subscription from the Reddit Premium section of User Settings.
How to Delete Your Reddit Posts and Comments?
Most times, whenever we delete our accounts, part of the biggest worry we are ever left with is always on whether our details will get deleted as well. So, for your information deactivating your Reddit account won't delete your posts and comments.
If anything, you may need to do so manually for every post and comment or for those you'd not want to remain active.
Step 1: Log in to your Reddit account.
Step 2: Touch the [Posts] option from the top of the page. It's the second option after Overview.
Step 3: Tap on the menu button below your posts to open the drop-down menu, where you'll find the delete option.
Step 4: Select the [Delete] option to remove any posts and comments on your account.
You must remember this is only possible if done before deleting the account.
What If There Are Errors When Deleting Reddit Account?
It's possible to run into errors when trying to delete your account. These errors should, however, not shake you off when you are determined to do away with your Reddit account. Here is what you can do before trying to delete them again.
- Verify both the username and password are typed in correctly. Avoid removing anything until you've changed your password if you have any doubts about it.
- Reddit users having problems erasing posts should instead use the old Reddit website.
- If you joined up and made an account by using your Google or Apple ID, you should log out of those services before erasing your account.
- Account Settings may be accessed from the [User Preferences] menu. Once there, select the [Connected Accounts] tab. If you joined up using a Google or Apple ID, you could disconnect it from your device by clicking the corresponding button.
- Clearing your browser's cookie cache, turning off browser extensions, or using an incognito window or private mode are all good strategies for erasing data from the internet.
How to Request Your Data From Reddit?
Although you've reached the decision to delete your account, you must have had some enlightening moments that you wouldn't want to let go on Reddit. Unfortunately, it is not easy to download your data from the account; if anything, you'll need to go through emailing their support team and submit a request for having your data exported.
This request might take up to 30 days before getting a reply from the account's support team, which might be quite time-consuming. But you don't have to struggle; here's how to go about backing up your data:
- Open your web browser and visit the [Request Your Data] webpage.
- Enter your username, then select the right option under [What type of request is it?]
- Pick the [GDPR] option if you live in the EU, [CCPA] option if you're in California, and [Other] for anywhere else.
- Select the time range over which you would need data or all of your Reddit data. Afterward, touch the [Submit] button.
You will receive an acknowledgment page confirming your message was received. In a few hours or days, your Reddit inbox will pop up with a link from u/RedditDataRequests.
Step 1: Tap on the link to go to an archive containing your requested data.
Step 2: Open the provided link to download the archive.
Step 3: Unzip the downloaded files to locate the CSV files containing your data.
Step 4: Using Microsoft Excel or any relevant software, open the files to get all the Reddit data you requested for.
If you think about it, Reddit is a bit like Facebook in terms of sharing things with various groups. However, because you can share in so many categories, you'll end up joining Forums on Reddit that aren't relevant to your tastes and interests. So, if, along the way, you lost interest and felt like you needed some time out, it shouldn't be any harder for you to deactivate your Reddit account.